Are you interested in creating an amazing educational environment for students who are part of an equity driven community? Staff at Cabrillo College support quality programs and services to students that promote their diverse and evolving needs as they progress toward their individual educational goals. Come join us in our vision to improve the world, one student at a time!
This full-time, 12 month per year, Senior Maintenance Worker performs a variety of semi-skilled and skilledwork in the maintenance and repair of College building, facilities, vehicles and related equipment; and performs related duties as required or assigned. This position may receive calls after hours on evenings and weekends for plumbing and other maintenance emergencies which requires this position to be available to respond during off hours.
The ideal candidate will share Cabrillo's commitment to educating its racially and socioeconomically diverse student population. Cabrillo College serves approximately 11,400 students per term, of which 44% are LatinX, 5% multi-ethnic, 2.75% Asian, 1.25% African-American, 1% Filipino, 0.25% American Indian or Alaskan Native, and 0.18% Pacific Islander as of Fall 2019. In 2006, Cabrillo College was designated a Hispanic-Serving Institution, reflecting the great responsibility that the College has to the educational attainment and economic well-being of the surrounding community.
As a classified staff member at Cabrillo College, you will join a vibrant community of professionals and educators working together to provide a positive educational environment where our students experience diverse academic and cultural perspectives.
Examples of Duties
• Performs a variety of skilled and semi-skilled carpentry, plumbing, electrical, painting, HVAC, vehicle maintenance, welding and related maintenance work
• Repairs, maintains and installs a variety of electrical systems and equipment, including lines, computer cables, switches, outlets, lights, etc.
• Replaces light bulbs
• Installs, maintains, and repairs plumbing fixtures
• Installs cleanouts in water and sewer lines; replaces water heaters, pumps, and motors
• Repairs leaks and stoppages to toilets, fountains, and drains
• Operates and maintains a variety of hand and power tools and equipment used in the building trades, including welding equipment
• Joins, fabricates, and repairs metal and other weldable material
• Adheres to safety practices and uses appropriate safety equipment and devices
• Protects the safety of employees and the public who may be in or near the work site
• Inventories materials and supplies, orders and purchases supplies
• Maintains records of work performed, using a computer system
• Reads and interprets plans, schematics, specifications and blueprints and ensures conformity with codes and safety regulations
• Performs maintenance to ensure facilities are kept in good operating order
• Makes repairs to buildings and structures
• Performs maintenance painting
• Installs, repairs, and builds partitions, shelves, counters, railings, fences, walls, and other general carpentry duties
• Installs, maintains, repairs and adjusts heating and ventilation systems
• Performs service and basic mechanical repair work for gasoline and diesel-powered vehicles
• Lubricates vehicles, changes oil, filters, and tires, and performs safety checks; operates, fuels and washes vehicles
• Builds forms and installs and repairs masonry including concrete
• Assists in other maintenance activities as assigned
• Works with other skilled trade persons
• Performs heavy physical labor, necessary preparation and clean-up work
• Performs security checks and coordinates work set by supervisor or designee
• Reports on the completion of work orders as directed by supervisor and fills in daily activity reports to track time
• Completes other work reports as directed by supervisor
• May direct the work of less experienced maintenance workers and may train others in proper and safe work methods and procedures
• May require driving for position related duties
• Performs related duties as required or assigned
Education and Experience:
Equivalent to graduation from high school, AND
Three years of work experience in building maintenance work in facility construction and maintenance work.
• College or trade school coursework in one or more of the trade specialties
• Techniques, methods and materials used in skilled building, facilities, equipment and vehicle maintenance and repair
• Safe work methods and safety regulations related to the work
• Operation and maintenance of a wide variety of equipment and hand and power tools used in the work, including appropriate welding techniques
• Applicable codes and regulations
• Shop mathematics
• Perform skilled facilities and equipment maintenance and repair work as described in examples of duties
• Operate tools used in electrical, welding, carpentry, plumbing, painting, HVAC and related building trades
• Demonstrate sensitivity to and understanding of diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students and the community
• Exercise sound judgment and initiative without close supervision
• Prepare basic records and reports, using a computer
• Read and interpret manuals, specifications, drawings, plans and blueprints
• Understand and follow oral and written instructions
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships
• Possession of and ability to maintain a valid California driver's license and safe driving record during the course of employment
• Must possess sufficient strength and stamina to perform heavy physical labor and to lift and maneuver objects weighing up to 100 pounds, with assistance
• Must be willing to respond to emergencies in off-hours as necessary
• Must be willing to work outdoors in all weather conditions
• Must be willing to work with exposure to unpleasant and potentially hazardous substances, using proper safety equipment and procedures
Starting Salary Range: $3,829 to $4,222 per month; maximum initial salary step placement on the classified salary schedule is step 3.
Hours are typically Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. with evenings and weekends as required. Due to current COVID facility requirements, hours are subject to modification based on the needs of the College. Position scheduled to begin as soon as possible, pending continued funding and Governing Board ratification. Salary is subject to proration based on beginning date of assignment.
Cabrillo College is an equal opportunity employer
About Cabrillo College
Cabrillo College empowers students to be effective communicators, critical thinkers, and responsible world citizens. With a commitment to quality and equity, we connect all learners to pathways that propel them from where they are to where they aspire to be, including: academic, personal, and career growth.